For those involved with CNC machining on curved surfaces, producing a smooth finish is critical. A new white paper from Okuma America Corporation details the company’s Super-NURBS programming functionality that meets high-accuracy finish requirements, while speeding up cycle times. The result is drastically reduced hand-finishing time to achieve high-quality parts quickly.
The term “NURBS” is an acronym for Non-Uniform Rational Basis Spline, a mathematical way to regenerate free-form curves and shapes. Super-NURBS is Okuma’s proprietary technology for achieving NURBS functionality within a CNC machining environment. Titled “Super-NURBS Cuts Curved Surfaces With High-Accuracy and Speedy Cycle Times – Completing Parts on the Machine,” the white paper examines topics such as:
- How Super-NURBS eliminates redundancies and allows for a faster and smoother tool path
- Why Super-NURBS delivers the fastest speeds and highest quality finishes in the industry
- How Super-NURBS’ faster control loops speed allows for more ultra-high feed rates to be used
- Why there’s no need for a look-ahead – Super-NURBS is inherently fast without it
- How to deliver parts “out the door” faster, with better finish quality and accuracy
Speedy, Accurate CNC Machining for Curved Surfaces